Neodymium – A Rare Earth Magnet with Unique Qualities Attracting Millions towards it
Rarest of the rare earth magnet, Neodymium is used in one or the other form, it is just that we are not aware of it usage. There are many advantages and uses of this awesome piece invented by humans.
This element is produced in two forms, and China is main source of supply of this material.
- Sintered or powdered form
- Bonded magnet process
Sintered or powdered form is used extensively and produced around 100 times more then the bonded magnet process. Sintered form has high strength magnetic field than the bonded magnet. Curie temperature or the temperature at which a magnet loses its magnetic properties is same for both forms, which is approximately 310 to 400 degree Celsius.
However, the Curie temperature can be raised after alloying the magnet with terbium and dysprosium. These magnets are called rare earth magnets but are not uncommon and found in abundance in the earth’s crust. These magnets are so strong that they do not lose their magnetic properties easily.
The neodymium magnets are very useful, portable, strong and affordable, you can easily find them in items you use daily like headphones, hard disks, refrigerators etc. we can easily find neodymium disc magnets and neodymium ring magnets.
Some of the common uses of neodymium magnets are below.
- Healthcare industry – These rare earth magnets are used in MRI machines and other pain relieving equipments.
- Security equipments – like alarms and switches
- Computer equipments – such as hard disks
- Cell phones
- Electronic Toys
- Some new inventions like Magnetic jewellery clasps and Magnetic building sets for children add to the fun element.
- Mechanical as well as industrial applications
Neodymium magnets are strongest and are used extensively in our everyday life. Below are some of the characteristics of this wonderful metal.
- Corrosiveness – These are very corrosive in nature and need to be handled with utmost care.
- Affordability and availability – This alloy is easily available and affordable, can be used easily in laboratories and research centres.
- Structure – You can easily find this alloy in crystalline structures and tetragonal shape
- These are possibly the strongest rare earth magnets.
There are various risks also involved while using these magnets like a pair of these magnets can snap your fingers or these magnets can catch fire in higher temperatures. Therefore, it is necessary that you know all the safety measures to take while using Neodymium magnets, no matter what your purpose is.
There are many manufacturers of Neodymium magnets, and you can buy them from one of the reputed companies in the market. These elements often come in different sizes and shapes, and with different coating.
These days, market is swamped with a variety of Neo magnets. You could easily find ring shaped, disk shaped, or cylinder shaped objects. If you use this magnet with utmost care, then it remains as it is for a lifetime. If you want to learn more about Neo Magnets, click here.