How Different Is VPS Hosting For Linux Over VPS Windows Hosting?
Online business has come to stay and it becomes important for the customers to finalize on the right web hosting service. Every business, it could be a startup or small business looking for survival and growth in the market or a large settled business looking for a wider customer audience, needs a good and reliable hosting platform for a smooth performance. Of all the options of web hoisting, VPS hosting has found a wider preference among the online businesses.
The site with VPS host account is accommodated in a container which is equipped with all the resources that are asked for by the client when selecting the plan and package. The space is calculated in racks with a full rack being called cabinet. The container is capable of being increased or decreased with the resources depending on the traffic movement. The client is allowed to increase the RAM size when there are possibilities of heavy flow of traffic to avoid congestion.
Linux or Windows Operating System:
Once it is decided on VPS hosting, the next important point to consider which operating system would be suit your business Linux or Windows. Linux is normally preferred choice unless the business has websites that specifically needs Windows applications like ASP.NET, MSSQL, MSACCESS, visual basics development and remote desktop. Businesses prefer VPS hosting for Linux when they have to decide on the OS for internet server while for PCs Windows has been the commonly accepted platform. The customer has also to decide whether to go in for a managed or unmanaged server.
Linux VPS or Windows VPS:
Cost: Linux being an open source operating system does not require any licensing fee for the hosting provider. This makes it more affordable and cheaper. It works seamlessly with other open source programming languages like PHP, Perl, CGI, Python, Ruby etc and other open source applications. Windows VPS hosting works out to be expensive. Windows is a commercial system owned by Microsoft and comes with a fee for all services and upgrades. Windows does not integrate well with open source programming languages like Linux does.
Control Panel: Every web hosting package includes access to control panels. VPS and dedicated server hosting gives the users full control of the control panel. The control panel is important for the client to manage their web hosting account that includes applications, authorizations, automation, settings and permissions. CPanel and Plesk are two popular control panels available for VPS and dedicated servers. CPanel offers much advanced features for the VPS hosting for Linux that normally are not available with other control panels. Plesk is a cross platform control panel that can be used in both Linux and Windows hosting services. CPanel cannot be used on Windows platform. It is the most reliable and common control panel and is also works very fast. Plesk facilitates unlimited domain accounts, but takes a longer time to load and is expensive when compared to cPanel.
User Interface: Windows VPS hosting adopts the Graphics User Interface (GUI) and offers a user friendly interface. VPS hosting for Linux OS comes with a complicated SSH interface and is not user friendly.
Support: Windows works best for users of ASP and ASP.NET, Windows is also compatible with SQL and MS Access better than Linux.
Customers availing the VPS hosting for Linux and Windows operating systems get considerable benefits. They get
- Flexibility with root access on the virtual server at the data centre.
- Option to upgrade to a larger server with growth in business
- Freedom to install and remove software as per business needs
- Independent and solo VPS accounts on the same server
- Boot and Reboot VPS server independently
- Scalability with the permission to increase or decrease resources based on the business requirements. This is a useful feature as the client does not have to invest money to buy the resources in advance based on anticipation
- Devoted database server, dedicated FTP and webmail
- Control panel accessibility even when VPS is offline
- Maintenance of server is the responsibility of the VPS server hosting provider
- The provider ensures quick response to tickets
- Round the clock customer support via chat, mail or phone
- Technical support and system monitoring for smooth performance and solve any hosting issues.
- Enhanced security with optimum network uptime SLA.